POSITION: Civil Engineering Discipline Manager
LOCATION: Jackson, MS
JOB POSTED: May 2019
Come join our highly skilled and diverse staff of engineering, program management, planning, economic development, and policy professionals, all committed to delivering engineering excellence and creative solutions to every project across the major disciplines.
Founded in 1976, Waggoner has become more than an engineering firm. Our solutions are developed through a culture of integrity, service, and creativity for the benefit of our clients.
The position of Discipline Manager/Client Account Manager is a highly billable position and the majority of the discipline manager functions will be facilitated through project work. The discipline manager is also expected to perform technical tasks on projects.
Following are the objectives of the position:
- Assists project managers and CAMs in the development of technical scope of work, budget, and schedule associated with the projects in this discipline.
- Serves in responsible charge of all aspects of the discipline and has significant management responsibilities to execute the responsibilities and duties of the position. Specific authority limits include but are not restricted to the following:
- To hire personnel previously approved.
- To exercise company disciplinary policies and measures including termination with reference to personnel.
- To perform Career Development and performance reviews with staff.
- Maintains personal development and competencies necessary to function as Waggoner’s technical and thought leader in this discipline.
- Identifies, recruits, and mentors staff with skills and interests consistent with this discipline.
- Provides the environment to support personnel training.
- Remains abreast of the trends and opportunities impacting the various service areas.
- Develops and grows Waggoner’s capabilities in the various service areas within this discipline.
- Identifies and develops project opportunities for new work and/or expanded services for new and established clients for this discipline.
- Works closely with Business Development and Marketing staff to pursue business in the discipline area.
- Develops marketing and sales plans related to this discipline.
- Assists in meeting company marketing and sales plan goals especially as they relate to discipline.
- Works closely with Vice President – Operations, President, COB/CEO, PMs and CAMs related to discipline area services for their projects and pursuits.
- Develops proposal strategies for opportunities in this discipline that utilize Company’s strengths and innovative thinking to gain a competitive advantage.
Competencies of the Person Holding this Position
- Clearly defines goals and the actions required to accomplish them.
- Considers possible changes, constraints or other obstacles that might impact plans.
- Accurately estimates time and resources needed to accomplish tasks.
- Effectively relate to all kinds of people regardless of background.
- Finds topics and common interests that he/she can use to build rapport with others.
- Scans the environment for opportunities to grow the discipline or accelerate performance.
- Encourages people to exploit chances to drive the business forward.
- Works toward the goal of having clients view us as the technical expert in this field.
- Stays aware of client technical needs, concerns and satisfaction.
- Responds promptly to client technical questions and requests in cooperation with PM.
- Effectively manages client technical expectations.
Supervisory Responsibility of the Position
This position directly supervises all staff within this discipline.
Work Environment/Expected Hours of Work
- This job generally operates in a professional office environment.
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- This position regularly requires long hours and occasional weekend work.
- Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some projects may require more out-of-the-area and overnight travel.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree is required. Master’s degree or equivalent is desired. This position requires a minimum of ten years’ experience in this discipline, including five years of direct client interaction and knowledge of applicable laws and regulations, and five years supervisory experience.
Licensed as a Professional Engineer in the State of Mississippi is required. Licensure, or ability to gain licensure in the States of Louisiana, Tennessee, and Alabama is desired.
Other Knowledge and Skills
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the person in this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Other types of insurance
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Education assistance or tuition reimbursement
- Gym memberships or discounts
INTERESTED IN THIS POSITION?
Send your resume to Tracy Osborn