POSITION: Sr. Discipline Manager – Transportation
LOCATION: Jackson, MS
JOB POSTED: July 2020
Waggoner Engineering, Inc. has an incredible career opportunity for an experienced leader and Professional Engineer to lead Waggoner’s growing Transportation discipline. Our corporate office, located in Jackson, MS is where you will lead your team of engineers, junior engineers, and technicians. The transportation discipline provides planning, analysis, and design of multi-modal transportation facilities, including Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), roadways, traffic and bridges (local, arterial and highway), railroads, airports, transit and ports for our clients.
The ideal person would be of good character, licensed as a Professional Engineer in Mississippi together with personal experience with Mississippi Department of Transportation, possess good communication and leadership skills, provide technical and thought leadership to Waggoner staff and clients, and facilitate growth and development.
RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
The following are the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Serves as Waggoner’s technical lead in executing the performance of the services included in this discipline area.
- Assists project managers and CAMs in the development of the technical scope of work, budget, and schedule associated with the projects in this discipline.
- Serves in responsible charge of all aspects of the discipline and has significant management responsibilities to execute the responsibilities and duties of the position. Specific authority limits include but are not restricted to the following:
- To hire personnel previously approved.
- To exercise company disciplinary policies and measures including termination with reference to personnel.
- To perform 360 performance reviews on staff.
- Mentors and develops Waggoner staff in the various skillsets necessary to execute the different service areas within this discipline.
- Maintains personal development and competencies necessary to function as Waggoner’s technical and thought leader in this discipline.
- Identifies, recruits, and mentors staff with skills and interests consistent with this discipline.
- Provides the environment to support personnel training.
- Facilitates the growth and development of the discipline at Waggoner.
- Remains abreast of the trends and opportunities impacting the various service areas.
- Develops and grows Waggoner’s capabilities in the various service areas within this discipline.
- Identifies and develops project opportunities for new work and/or expanded services for new and established clients for this discipline.
- Works closely with marketing staff to develop marketing and sales plans and pursue business in the discipline area.
- Works closely with other managers related to discipline area services for their projects and pursuits.
- Develops proposal strategies for opportunities in this discipline that utilize the company’s strengths and innovative thinking to gain a competitive advantage.
- Provide production resources and tools to Waggoner in the execution of projects in this discipline area.
- Determines equipment, software, information, communications, etc., needed for the discipline.
- Is attentive to detail and accuracy is committed to excellence, looks for improvements continuously, monitors quality levels, finds the root cause of quality problems, owns/acts on quality problems. Is responsible for the development of “doing the job right the first time” culture for staff in this discipline.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
A Master’s degree in transportation-related engineering is required. A doctoral degree or equivalent is desired.
This position requires a minimum of fifteen years’ experience in this discipline with as many different modes of transportation as practical, including ten years of direct client interaction and knowledge of applicable laws and regulations, and ten years supervisory experience
- PE (Required) in Mississippi
- PE in contiguous states desired (or ability to obtain within six months)
Transportation-related certifications like PTOE and others are preferred. Involvement in national and local transportation-related associations, boards, and committees is preferred and encouraged.
OTHER SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations pertaining to the practice of transportation engineering and the implementation of public works infrastructure projects.
- Proficiency in software commonly used in engineering analysis and design, such as AutoCAD Civil 3D, Micro Station, and other transportation field software such as SYNCHRO, HCS, and/or ESRI products.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project.
- Superior communication skills and in-depth knowledge of company products and operations.
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Employer Paid Group Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Professional Development Assistance
- Relocation Assistance
- On-Site Gym
Waggoner Engineering is an Equal Opportunity Employer
INTERESTED IN THIS POSITION?
Send your resume to Tracy Osborn