POSITION: Survey Technician
LOCATION: Jackson, MS
JOB POSTED: June 2021
Waggoner Engineering, Inc. has a great career opportunity for an experienced Survey Technician in our Jackson, MS office. The Survey Technician will work under the supervision of the Discipline Manager, or other managers within this Discipline Area to develop and maintain various types of Survey Mapping and GIS databases, prepare maps and displays and other work products and perform various types of Surveying and GIS-related tasks in support of design and production efforts throughout the company.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
The essential functions of this position include but are not limited to those listed hereafter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these. You are also able to…
- Perform quality reviews of data derived from conventional and nonconventional survey activities for completeness and accuracy.
- Interpret and process data derived from conventional survey activities for delivery to project design teams.
- Interpret and process data and generate digital terrain models (DTMs) from data and point files derived from LiDAR applications, including small unmanned aircraft systems (UAS’s) and conventional type surveys using various CAD software modules.
- Interpret and prepare property boundary descriptions for parcels, easements, rights-of-way, and other types of acquisitions.
- Coordinate work activities with other production discipline areas and engineering staff
- Collaborate productively with multiple team members to achieve project objectives
This job generally operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines. Fieldwork may be required on occasion. Position requires the incumbent to be sighted and ambulatory.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some projects may require more out-of-the-area and overnight travel.
A minimum two-year technical or Associate degree in Survey, Geography, Cartography, CAD, GIS, or closely related field is required; a Bachelor’s Degree is preferred.
Minimum of five years of experience working in a conventional survey production environment using Trimble GPS, as well as AutoCAD and/or MicroStation software platforms.
OTHER REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Proficiency in basic survey practices and a comprehensive understanding of coordinate geometry
- Demonstrated knowledge and proficiency processing and analyzing digital terrain data, derived from LiDAR or other remote sensing platforms
- Familiarity with geospatial platforms such as ArcGIS and other ESRI extensions, as well as an understanding of GIS databases
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Software
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbal
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Send your resume to Tracy Osborn