POSITION: Water Resources Engineer/Scientist
LOCATION: Jackson, MS
JOB POSTED: March 2021
Waggoner Engineering, Inc. has a great career opportunity for an experienced Civil/ Environmental Water Resources Engineer or Scientist in our Jackson, MS office. The successful candidate will assist the Watershed Planning, Stormwater Management, and Coastal Restoration Discipline Manager with project development and delivery phases, including initiating, planning, executing, monitoring, controlling, and closing. Most projects will involve the implementation of innovative engineering and science-based administrative, managerial, and technical services designed to exceed our client’s expectations.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
As our Water Resources Engineer / Scientist, you will provide quality planning, design, and technical assistance to the Discipline Manager and other members of the design team in delivering Watershed, Stormwater, and Coastal Restoration Projects within budgetary and time constraints. You are also able to…
- Assist in developing the technical scope of work, budget, and schedule associated with the projects in this discipline.
- Assist in developing watershed-based protection and restoration plan to characterize, quantify, prioritize, and implement water resource projects.
- Assist in performing hydrologic, hydraulic, or water quality modeling.
- Assist in the development of strategies for watershed operations to meet water resource goals and to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Conduct site assessments to ascertain drainage/dredging and/or environmental damage and restoration needs.
- Assist in the development of environmental assessments, impact statements, and permitting applications.
- Maintain and documents written and verbal communications with clients throughout the development and completion of a project.
- Conduct project status review with the project manager and team members, checking the work’s accuracy and monitoring project completion timeliness.
- Assist Project Managers with administrative duties concerning the completion of assigned projects, including review of schedules, scopes, and budgets.
- Prepare engineering studies and reports.
- Prepare project design using sound engineering principles, engineering software, and tools.
- Prepare contract documents and technical specifications.
- Adhere to quality assurance and control procedures and assist other members of the project team in doing so.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some projects may require more out-of-the-area and overnight travel.
Bachelor’s degree in water resources or civil/environmental engineering, watershed planning, environmental science, or related field.
- Certifications or registrations as mandated by profession.
- Licensure as a Professional Engineer (PE) in Mississippi.
- Licensure or ability to obtain licensure as a PE in other states where Waggoner practices, within a reasonable timeframe.
- Certifications applicable to civil engineering, hydrology and hydraulics desired (e.g. Certification in Flood Plain Management (CFM), Erosion, Sediment and Stormwater Control (CPESC), and Watershed Planning) is preferred.
- Four plus years of professional water resources engineering, stormwater management, and/or watershed planning-related experience.
- Knowledge of and experience in watershed-based planning, modeling analysis and design; stormwater management, including BMPs design, Green Infrastructure (GI) and Low Impact Development (LID); stream, wetland, and coastal restoration; hydrological and hydraulic analysis including channel design, floodplain analysis, and scour analysis is preferred.
- Experience in hydraulic, hydrologic, and water quality modeling; training and experience in geomorphology/natural channel design is highly desirable.
- Experience with specifying erosion, sediment, and stormwater control measures and construction observation highly desirable.
- Experience in environmental permitting and the development and review of environmental impact statements and assessments is preferred.
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations pertaining to the practice of engineering and the implementation of public works infrastructure projects.
- Proficiency in software commonly used in engineering analysis and design, such as AutoCAD Civil 3D, Micro Station, and/or ESRI products.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project.
- Superior communication skills and in-depth knowledge of company products and operations.
Send your resume to Tracy Osborn